Thursday, February 13, 2014

It's About That Time...Terrible Twos?



I have been noticing lately that my little princess has been starting to gain a personality and it's not favorable. Yes, I know that she's still not yet 2 (she will be in April), but still the hubs and I have agreed that we were going to be strict and discipline our children. I'm a good cuddle filled mom...but I am also that kind of mommy that doesn't stand for silliness. I'm more the stern one than Juan is and that's because she's his little girl. But I have a feeling that soon he'll be on my page too. She has been starting to give us looks and pinching and biting. Which is so weird because I have never done that to her and I don't think Juan has either. So we're going to have to get right on that and correct it before she decides to do it to another kid or an adult.

The only problem is, I don't want it to seem as if we are just hounding on her and making her feel ashamed. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing that. This is such a learning curve for both me and Juan. I grew up with discipline and I believe Juan has too.

Will we spank our children? The answer is yes...depending on what has been done. Like for example, I won't immediately spank Sofia if she comes to me with bad grades...probably not ever. That's the only thing I hated regarding that...I will make sure my child has the help she needs and not single her out.

I have been spanked and Juan has as well and it's just what we see fit as husband and wife and as parents. We will also use our firm voices and redirect our children to the right path.

First on the agenda for our little one is bringing her bedtime back to the right hour. She used to go to bed at 9:00 but then started to resist it, waking up and crying. I had read that sometimes 18 month old toddlers would do that so I just went with the flow, letting her stay up until Juan would go to sleep which was usually around 10 or 11. Yeah, I know...bad idea. So she was waking up later and her nap times would be later too.

So tonight...we have put her in the bed around 9:30 because we had visited my in laws. She's still fighting it but we'll get there and maybe we can all be happier. I just hope that things will be somewhat smooth sailing when she turns two. But if these past few days are an indicator...we have a battle ahead of us.

Parenthood is a journey...that's for sure.


1 comment:

  1. Live and learn. It's a cliche, but it's true. And you'll find what works for you guys, all of you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...