Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Some Things I Have Learned About My Mexican Familia



When I first started going out with Juan in 2010, as you can imagine...I had no idea about his culture or what his family is used to. I slowly started learning the ways. These are just some things I have seen or realized in the nearly five years we have been together.

1. Mi  familia celebrates Christmas on the 24th instead of the 25th: It's a really busy time for us around Christmas time. We spend all night partying over with Juan's family until midnight and then have to wake up around 7 or so...open presents and then spend the rest of the day with my family. They wait until midnight to open their gifts.

2. Mi familia likes to eat mayo on their corn on the cob: I have never ever seen this before. It was only ever butter in my family but they love it! Especially Juan who will put spice on top of the mayo.

3. Mi familia doesn't have a dishwasher: When I met my husband, he didn't know what the dishwasher was when we moved into our first apartment. Before you say "WHA?! Who doesn't know what that is?!" let me tell you that his family doesn't have one in their house. Everything was cleaned in the sink. So while it's different, it's just the way he grew up.

4. You better come to mi familia's house hungry: If you come full...they are going to try to feed you anyway. I love my mother in law's food though so I don't mind it!

5. Mi familia eats chile on EVERYTHING: Meat, sides, fruit, veggies, candy...the spicier the better for them! Juan can't go too far without his Valentina sauce.

6. For Pinata time at a birthday party...mi familia makes a way to put it up in the air. Be it on the roof or  on top of the truck...it's going to get up there.

7. It is nice to be helpful: I still need to work on this, but it's always looked up on when the younger ladies help out the mother of their loved ones. There are times where I clean up after we eat or have made dinner for them all and it feels good to help.

8. Mi familia loves to party: If there is music...and beer...and food...and dancing- they are there! I always have a good time partying at their get togethers. It can be either just for fun or for something important and they last a long time...be sure you are going to sleep in afterwards.

9. Mi familia answers the phone with "Bueno" instead of hello: I'm still not sure why exactly...but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

There are so many more...and believe me, I'll put it here. I'm still eager to find out more about Juan's culture through him and his family. My learning is still ongoing!


4 comments:

  1. This is a great post you me laugh... I'm from Puerto Rico and I have friends from Mexico as well, and when we all get together it's really crazy, however, as La Familia, in Puerto Rico we celebrate the 24th of December when Jesus was born. It's amazing how cultures can change the meaning of a celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very amazing and I still have to explain to my family when they ask me certain questions like why I can't be there with them on certain days because of what they celebrate. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. My friends are whiter than white and swear that mayo with hot sauce on a corn on the cob is the best thing in the world haha ...your familia sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't picture myself eating that ever, unless I was just starving! But they love it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...